Thought, experience and memory from a brain in a jar, one that sometimes has control over a thirty-two-year-old Londonite.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Herne Hill, London, United Kingdom

15 January, 2006

Hello By The Way

Well, I've not posted properly for a while - between Christmas and an unshakeable cold I've not really had much time, energy or impetus to make more than a passing comment on recent news and events. However, my mucus has changed consistency, I've completed the story missions of GTA: San Andreas, and we've reorganised the books, so here I am. Consider this an update and that.

I've been spending a little too long on the QI forums of late. Its eclecticism appeals to me, and there's a genuinely interesting range of voices, experiences and learnings. I post there as Mr Grue (and in school time, too! A bad habit I'm determined to get out of). Say hello some time.

Christmas was made more interesting than usual in that Ian and I were prominantly visible in the audience of the Goodies night studio bits. We'd been similarly framed in a Dad's Army documentary a while ago, too, but this time round the show we were ever so slightly in was on the viewing list of most of our friends. We were inundated with texts and emails along the lines of "look! You're on the telly!". Ian got a message from one of the talking heads in the show complaining that we were in it more than he was. Bo.

We did our almost annual book sort, which is getting increasingly difficult. We'd get another set of shelves, but there isn't the space. There was collapsage, too, which was a tad annoying. All done now, though. Anally placed some pics on Flickr with loads of annotation. Check 'em out.

Speaking of anal - I also was considering the importance of art that has something to say and the need to apply this to my own writing. I began to "restate my assumptions" which was quite an interesting exercise. I've been a bit low of late, partly due to the cold, and partly just my turning 30 blues, which will hopefully end by the time I'm 31. Partly stemming from the list, and the blues, I've decided to draw up a life plan, pillow book type thing - starting with the list of assumptions, but going on to include things such as free pleasures, goals for 2006, goals for 2016. I'll probably post a good deal of it online when it's done. I guess what I'm trying to do is channel my energies more effectively. I've taken on a couple of creative projects lately that I really believe in, and find myself genuinely interested in the research that goes along with them, but I need to make sure I follow them through, and the listmaking exercise will be a help.

What about Pieces? Yeah, yeah, I know! It'll get done eventually. I'm having a huge problem trying to find something in the character's childhood to write about. There's a friendship with his art teacher which I want to focus on but I'm having trouble bringing it about without making it seem contrived.

What about GRW? Yeah, yeah, I know! Definitely want to do something with it, but I'm not sure at present what. I'm planning an expidition into the interior to find the source of the Circle Line, probably the weekend before my birthday. This was originally intended for a piece in the Grue, but it's very much mirth and merriment, and so goes against the original agenda. I suspect I may have to lighten up a little on the requirements for entry. Was even toying with running fiction, but would need to really really control that, and might not be bastard enough to do so.

I notice you've not done much with Hamilton's Brain lately. Yeah, yeah, I know! I'll at least get some more straplines out, and a progress update on Pieces. I did a noun+7 version of The Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock on the old Grue site. Rolf has lamented that I've not transferred the Victor Mature letters over to the Brain Probe, so I might make something of that. I had worked out a quite elaborate plot about it, which should be easy enough to work through in the correspondence stylee. Will that do?

Anyhoo, I'm for coffee. TTFN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home