Thought, experience and memory from a brain in a jar, one that sometimes has control over a thirty-two-year-old Londonite.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Herne Hill, London, United Kingdom

07 July, 2005

Is this the second shoe, Spiegelman?

A while back I was prompted by the FlickR Zeitgesit widget to change the background for my links page from the green leather of old to a stark, Pet Shop Boys video, white. I then popped a "You are no longer here" (Stylograph, natch) at the top of the page and was suitably impressed with the whole thing. But of course it doesn't fit in with the rest of the site now. Some evaluating and soul searching later, and I have decided to redesign the whole thing. I've completed the new and ludicrous menu and will be rejigging pages throughout July, all to hopefully go live on July 31st. I'd pretty much constrained myself with the design I'd put in place, so am trying to keep everything loose and light and open. This is allowing me to include lots of abandoned material. I'm going to attempt an extended piece of writing on Static which will be a sister-piece to the still unfinished article on One Hour Photo (which in turn generated some positive feedback when I ran an excerpt in God's Rude Wireless).

And parts of London are being ripped apart by explosions? I'm typing this at work in Baker Street and trying very hard to concentrate on what I'm supposed to be doing. Sirens are going past every ten minutes or so. Mixed reports - some are saying bombs, others power surges. The National Grid saying that nothing peculiar has happened with their supply...(10:30)

...police have confirmed that there has been at least one explosion on a bus (earlier reports merely said it had been ripped apart by an explosion, which is vague). Hard to see how a power surge could have done that, so this could be the "second plane". (10:45)

Although not fully confirmed by the BBC news site, a diagram mapping the incidents lists "Two underground trains collide near King's Cross".

I've managed to contact Ian, Mum and my sister. The mobile networks are just about holding together, but it's taking several attempts to get messages through. Weird atmosphere in the office - that same "something's happening" guilty excitement and fear that I remember from September 01. Will post more later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home