Thought, experience and memory from a brain in a jar, one that sometimes has control over a thirty-two-year-old Londonite.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Herne Hill, London, United Kingdom

28 April, 2006

Si vs Dan 280406 B - W Res

Si vs Dan 280406 B - W Res
Si vs Dan 280406 B - W Res,
originally uploaded by Simon Scott.
I played Dan on Thursday. I'd been reading quite a bit following my defeat last time. I found that playing speed games against Many Faces (which I always lose) was giving me a better grounding for my reading, and seemed to help with my intuition.

I also reread certain chapters of Toshiro Kageyama's Lesson's In The Fundamentals Of Go and felt I got much more out of it than before, I guess because I have more games behind me. The killer chapter, and I think the one that helped me out in this game in particular, was Kage's discussion of correct endgame strategy. When Dan began invading my framework, instead of simply defending I used it as an opportunity to stage a bigger invasion of his territory. This allowed me to encircle the group of white stones centre left as depicted.

Daniel resigned, which was a first for either of us, and I ran a couple of play throughs beyond it which largely favoured black, so perhaps it was the right decision. He had lost the top right corner in quite a silly mistake, tenukiing when he should have connected, and had he not made the mistake the game would probably have evened out. But if you see a pig, steal it...

There's also a lot of adji on the board, which MFOG tended to exploit rather effectively.

He's keen to play again, perhaps with less wine being drunk on both sides.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home